Wednesday 25 July 2012

cheese, leek and potato pasty

I was thinking about Cornwall and remembering how much I loved holidaying there, travelling around the coastline visiting as many towns, villages and beaches as possible. I remembered one visit when I went to the Minack Theatre to watch a play, blazing sunshine (it's outdoors) picnic basket, sun brolly and some great company. In the picnic we had packed some authentic Cornish Pasties and I could remember the smell of beef, swede and a touch of worcestershire  sauce and how delicious they were and how HUGE they were!

Dinner was sorted for this night after that olfactory reminder! Cornish pasties for me and a veggie pastie for the veggie in the family.  I sorted out my old pasty recipes and got to work with what I had in the fridge and freezer.

In my recipe for the veggie pastie I use leek, potato and cheese. A little dijon mustard for a kick, bit of thyme and a little cream - ooops, no cream in the fridge. What I did have was a tub of low fat Greek Yogurt so this was going to have to go into the veggie pasty. I'm glad I did, when I gave it a taste after cooking the mixture it was gorgeous, better than I remember it being. In fact I liked it so much I decided to have the veggie pasty for dinner instead of the Cornish version.





I made enough for 3 large pasties and I made the pastry myself but if you're pushed for time I would recommend using a prepared shortcrust pastry. Just remember to take it out of the fridge for half an hour before using to soften slightly.

Ingredients for inside of veggie pasty
1 medium sized leek - chopped in circles
1 large potato ( I used a king edward as it holds its shape well in all cooking methods) - sliced small and finely
4oz of any grateable cheese - grated
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
2 tablespoons of low fat greek yogurt - I used TOTAL greek yog
1 dollop of butter for frying or splash of olive oil
3 tablespoons of water
salt and pepper for seasoning

Method for cooking the mixture
Heat a frying pan, add the butter or oil and fry the chopped leek for around 5 minutes on a medium heat.

Add the sliced potatoes and thyme, fry for a few minutes then add the water, lid on and turn very low. Let this cook for about 3 minutes.
Remove the lid, add the cheese , dijon mustard, greek yogurt and stir until the cheese has melted.


Turn off the heat and get your pastry ready for adding the mixture.

Here's my homemade pastry ready for the mixture


and the pastry folded with mixture added


The three pasties went into the oven at 180 degrees centigrade for 40 minutes and they were eaten with a delicious summer salad.  Because they were so large one of them made it into a lunch box today!

Easy to make and absolutely gorgeous with that greek yogurt in !



No comments:

Post a Comment